Wednesday 19 March 2014

The Story So Far

Alright, Sensible World of Soccer (SWOS) is clearly one of the greatest games ever made. As a gamer back in the day, it was like all of our christmases coming at once.

Leaving the gameplay aside, which is legendary anyway, you could play a 25 year, authentic, fully integrated career mode with real competitions, real teams, real players, transfers, hirings, firings, tactics, promotions, relegations and even...... wait for it......... Carrick Rangers. Carrick fucking Rangers!

Anyway, as a programmer, one day it tickled me just how much mileage they got out of a simple shadow. It may be stating the bloody obvious, but that friggin ball doesn't get any higher. It doesn't even get any bigger dammit. You get a pretty spanking cool illusion out of merely moving the position of the shadow on the pitch. Shiny.

So I thought to myself "I'll have a go at that." And I did. Then I thought "why stop here?" And I didn't.

Hence this blog. The first installment of "actually finish a private project instead of just fannying around with cool stuff and then forgetting about it" will be Senseless Soccer - a simple clone of Sensible Soccer with a few twists thrown in here and there for good measure.

P.S. I had the idea for a blog whilst thinking about a bit of A.I. for the players, hence the silly little (yet appropriate) blog title.

Ahoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment